We spent 48 hours evaluating and researching 12 different Test Management Tools. We looked for features that should be available in an ideal test management tool. We looked at user reviews and compare products’ features to determine which tools help you in your project development. Based on our research, we believe the following tools drive your project in a better direction. Here we are not giving any ranking to any tool. Every tool in the list below has decent features but its very rare to find free test case management tools but almost all the test management tools come with free trials.
In this tutorial, we are going to see the following.
- 1. What do we expect from a Test Management Tool
- 2. Why Test Management Tools
- 3. Popular Test Management Tools
- 4. Features of Test Management Tools
What do we expect from a Test Management Tool?
One who wants to use a Test Management Tool expect the following:
- Easy installation
- Creating and maintaining Projects
- User and User Role creation
- Requirements management
- Test Plans creation
- Test Cases creation
- Test Cases execution
- Reporting system
- Defect tracking system
- Importing and exporting system
- Integration with other tools
Why Test Management Tools?
In the earlier section, we have seen what we expect from a Test Management Tools. So an ideal test management tool should provide features like creating projects, users, test plans, test cases, reporting system and so on. Test management tools save the time of testers in the testing process and also streamline the testing process.
Popular Test Management Tools:
Let’s see some of the popular tools for the test management process.
- Test Rail
- Meliora Testlab
- Test Collab
- Quality Center
- TestFLO for JIRA
- IBM Rational Quality Manager
- Bugzilla Testopia
- Plutora Test
- Borland Silk Central
- RTH Turbo
Features of Test Management Tools:
Now in this section we will see some of the above tools in detail.
PractiTest is an end-to-end Test Management tool for quality assurance testing management. PractiTest offers a 30-days free trial. PractiTest integrates with some of the systems such as JIRA, Redmine, Pivotal tracker and other. PractiTest is able to work with automized tests of Selenium by using API.
- Create and organize tests based on test cycles, sprints
- Easy requirement management and traceability between requirements, tests, and issues
- Seamlessly integrates automation, CI, and bug tracking tools.
- Ability to report issues directly from emails
- Use advanced features to save time and money with anti-bug duplicates
- Visualize your data in the most advanced way using dashboards and reports
- Reuse tests and correlate results across different releases and products.
Free Trial: 30 days
Read the complete review of PractiTest here
2. Test Rail
The most popular test management tool in the DevTestOps Landscape Survey 2019 is TestRail. It works well for teams of all sizes, from individual testers to enterprise-sized teams of 100 or more. You can run TestRail on a local server or choose the cloud/SaaS solution for easy setup. Create test plans, start test runs, capture results in real-time, produce meaningful reports, and work more productively with personalized to-do lists, filters, and email notifications. TestRail integrates with leading issue tracking and test automation tools (if you’re using Jira, be sure to get the TestRail for Jira app on the Atlassian marketplace.)
- Document test cases with steps, screenshots, and expected results.
- Assign test cases to team members. Collaborate with comments and attachments.
- Estimate effort and forecast test completion dates.
- Start test runs and select test cases for execution based on filters.
- Monitor team workload to adjust assignments and resources.
- Capture the results of manual testing or get real-time feedback from your test automation.
- Produce traceability and coverage reports for requirements, tests, and defects.
- Generate reports and compare test results across multiple test runs and configurations.
- Built-in integrations, plus an open API to integrate with your CI/CD/DevOps toolchain.
Free Trial: 30 days
Testpad is not your typical test management tool. It’s more like a spreadsheet than a database of test cases, but unlike a spreadsheet, Testpad gives you consistent formating, easy team collaboration, and great reports that make it obvious how testing is going. The free-from nature of the test plans can be used on almost any style: from high-level guides for exploratory testing to fully-scripted test case management.
- Guest testers, invited by email, who don’t need a login
- Simple enough to use by non-testers; get everyone to help
- Drag’n’drop organisation of test plans
- Add new tests during testing, as you think of new ideas
- Lightweight integration with issue trackers, including JIRA
Testpad is pitched at QA pros looking for a more productive approach to testing, and at beginners looking for an upgrade to the annoying mess they’re in with spreadsheets.
Free Trial: 30days
Meliora TestLab is easy to use but powerful Test management tool with all the required ALM features. It simplifies your testing process and upgrades your team’s testing capabilities. It is a browser-based enterprise-grade quality management tool with requirements management, test design and execution, issue management, team collaboration, and analysis features.
Free Trial: 14 days
TestLodge is one of the best choices in terms of Test Management Tools. TestLodge supports you to create test plans, test cases, test runs, defects, and reporting. Some of the TestLodge’s features that make it worth choosing this Test Management Tool are as follows
- Creating Test Plan
- Creating Test Suites
- Creating Test Cases
- Tracking Bugs
- Graphical Reporting System
- Integration with popular bug tracking tools
Read our review on TestLodge Test Management Tool
Free Trial: 30 days
A Test Case Management tool is a software to manage the tests. TestCaseLab enables you to create, manage and organize test cases and suites within an optimized user interface and application structure. TestCaseLab Test Case Management Tool is a cutting-edge web tool for manual QA engineers. It allows you to follow most of the testing activities such as creating test cases, grouping test cases in test plans, and executing test runs. It helps coordinating test runs and increase the productivity of QA engineers. TestCaseLab comes with a nice user interface (UI) and also provides unlimited user account plans for affordable prices.
- Easy to create test cases and grouping them into categories
- Efficiently manage test cases, test plans, and test runs
- Well defined search functionality allows us to search test cases using name, description, and tags
- Real-time synchronization between peers in the project. If another user is editing the same test case, then you will get a notification
- Every test case has a unique link which allows other users to open it directly
- Allows to edit or delete multiple test cases at the same time
- All the fields of test cases are editable directly on view page
- Allows to drag and drop selected test cases
- Reuse of existing test cases or test plans by copying them
- Integrates with issue tracker tools such as Jira, Redmine, Pivotal, YouTrack, Asana
- Easily import, and export your data
- Allows to track edit history and ensures transparency
- Automatic email notifications to the members of assigned project
- Get started in minutes by simply registering without IT support
Read our review on TestCaseLab Test Management Tool
Free Trial: 30 days
It is the tool which helps not only testers but also the entire team. qTest’s interface is simple and user-friendly. Learning qTest is easy. It allows testers to create, centralize, organize, manage test cases quickly and efficiently. qTest Management claims that it’s the #1 Test Management Tool. As per the market analysis, qTest is one of the fastest growing test management solutions amongst Agile Development Teams. Cloud-based test management tool allows you to integrate with JIRA.
- Test planning and management
- Create, Edit and View requirements and test cases
- Track changes and updates to requirements and test cases
- Intuitive drag-and-drop UI
- Comprehensive traceability matrix
- Visual reports with drill down views
- Integration with external 3 party defect management tools
- Granular user permission controls
Free Trial: 30 days
Zephyr for Jira integrates testing into the project cycle, allowing you to track software quality and make empowered go/no-go decisions. Test issues can be created, executed, tracked and reported on just like any other Jira issue. It allows you to enhance the testing experience by integrating with automation tools like Selenium, continuous integration tools like Bamboo or Jenkins using RESTful APIs in ZAPI, the Add-on to Zephyr for Jira.
- Create, view, edit test plans and test
- Link to stories, tasks, requirements, bugs etc.,
- Create test cases and execute tests
- Create dashboards and generate reports and track quality metrics
- Integration with tools like JIRA, Selenium, Jenkins, Bamboo etc.,
Free Trial: 30 Days
9. Test Collab
Test Collab Test management tool helps development teams carry out testing effectively and avoid failures. It offers integration with all popular test automation tools and bug trackers. It offers requirement management, test plan and cases management, etc.,
- Control testing metrics, project quality trend, reported defects, time spent and more from main dashboard
- Test tasks and test cases management
- Detailed test execution reports
- It allows integration with issue manager (ex. JIRA, Redmine, FogBugz etc.,) and also allows bi-directional integration to create test cases and executions straight from your issue manager.
Free Trial: You can use free plan for as long as you want. You can also try business plan for free for 14 days
TestLink is a open source test management tool. Its one of the very rare open source test management tools in the market. Its a web based Test Management tool. It provides Test specification, Test plans and execution, Reporting, Requirements specification and collaborate with well-known bug trackers. It provides planning, reporting, requirement tracking, generating charts and reports.
- Requirement management
- Test case creation, maintenance and execution
- Integration with issue trackers and bug tracking
- Metrics and charts support
11. Quality Center
Quality Center, formerly known as HP Quality Center is a quality management software offered by Micro Focus. Micro Focus acquired the software division of HP Software Division of Hewlett Packard Enterprise. It offers requirements management, test management and business process testing.
- Requirements Management
- Test and Defect Management
- Agile Testing
- Automated Testing
- Metrics management
Kualitee is an all-in-one software testing tool that enables you to create, organize, execute test case, and track issues in-depth. It is tailored for easy onboarding and usability via an interactive and clean interface. It offers high-end integrations with popular tools minimizing the learning curve through familiarity. With Kualitee, companies can efficiently execute test cases allowing communication within the team and gauging meaningful metrics on its powerful dashboard. You can run multiple test cycles, configure profiles to dedicate roles to teammates, utilize its API’s for simplifying the testing process, and automatically streamline everything. Kualitee is your next ALM alternative!
- Supports both Manual and Automated Testing
- Test Case Management and Execution
- Issue Tracking
- Custom Test and Bug Reports
- Requirements Planning
- Dashboard Metrics
- Kualitee Mobile App
- Community Free
- Silver: $45/month
- Gold: $200/month
- Enterprise: Contact Us
Testuff, is a web-based QA management platform that allows you to easily design, execute, and manage an unlimited range of software tests. It offers integration with a huge list of bug trackers. It has an API that supports automation tools.
- Requirement Management
- Test Case Management
- Integration with any bug trackers
- Attach a video to defect reports
- Communicate with team using Twitter integration
- Assign test to specific testers
- Test Cycle planning using multiple labs
Free Trial: 60 days
QMetry Test Management for JIRA empowers the users to manage their testing projects within JIRA itself and, hence, it enhances the potentiality of JIRA projects to carry on the entire test cycles smoothly. In addition to standard JIRA Issue Types, you can create Test Scenario, Test Case and Test Run type of issues if you have the QTM Add-on installed and configured with your JIRA. The hierarchy of test scenarios, test cases, and test steps can be created and maintained directly from JIRA stories.
- Test case management
- Test execution
- Requirement tracking
- Issue management and user management
Free Trial: 30 days
15. TestFLO for JIRA
TestFLO Test Management for JIRA add-on empowers the users to manage their testing projects within JIRA. TestFLO supports flexible configurations for Agile Teams and Projects, smoothly integrates with defects and requirements providing broad traceability metrics and extensive reporting including all JIRA metrics and statistics. It allows integration with CI tools like Jenkins or Bamboo for automated tests allowing you to run tests from JIRA and publish test results in real-time.
- Create and manage test caes
- Requirement Traceability
- Create and keep track of defects on requirements, test plans or single Test Cases
- Extend the add-on with TestFLO Automation and integrate tests ran on Bamboo or Jenkins
Free Trial: 30 days
Qase is a cloud test case management system for both Developers and Testers. It helps you as an individual or in a team to significantly boost testing productivity and allows to manage test cases, compose test plans and perform test runs in an easy way.
IBM Rational Quality Manager is a collaborative, web-based tool that offers comprehensive test planning, test construction, and test artifact management features throughout the software development lifecycle.
It is designed to be used by test teams of all sizes and supports a variety of user roles, such as test manager, test architect, test lead, tester, and lab manager. The application also supports roles outside the test organization.
We have included most of the tools we have come across. If we missed any tool, please share in the comments and we will include in our list of Test Management Tools. You may also want to check out our ultimate list of defect tracking tools that contains Popular Defect Tracking Tools.
If you are looking to dig into our latest posts then check out our homepage.
Like this post? Don’t forget to share it!
Disclaimer: The order of these test management tools doesn’t suggest any recommendations.
Here are a few hand-picked articles for you to read next:
- Test Strategy Document – A Complete Leader
- Test Plan – Learn How To Create It
- Test Case – Detailed Explanation
- Why You Choose Software Testing As A Career