Are you looking for Selenium alternatives and competitors and don’t know where to start from?
Don’t look elsewhere, you’ve come to the right place.
Selenium has critically changed the automation testing history but there are some Selenium Alternatives that are good to try.
Selenium is one of the automation testing tools which is an open-source tool. Selenium automates web application. Selenium is used for functional and regression testing of web applications. Selenium supports multiple programming and scripting languages like Java, Ruby, Perl, PHP, and Python to code the logic behind the test scripts.
There are some challenges and limitation in Selenium
As we all know Selenium WebDriver is a tool that automates the browser to mimic real user actions on the web. Selenium is a free open source testing tool. Some of the challenges with Selenium WebDriver are as follows:
- We cannot test the windows application
- We cannot test mobile apps
- Limited reporting
- Handling dynamic Elements
- Handling page load
- Handle pop up windows
- Handling captcha
Best Alternatives and Competitors of Selenium are as follows.
The Best Alternatives To Selenium WebDriver In 2021
We have curated a list of alternative tools for Selenium that each offers a different set of features from Selenium. Read on to find out whether you and your team should use Selenium or any of the below great alternatives to Selenium WebDriver.
This tool is a good alternative for testers who have an insufficient programming background.
Protractor is a Node.js program that supports test frameworks like Jasmine, Mocha, and Cucumber.
Don’t miss our detailed Protractor Testing Tutorial
TestProject is a free end-to-end test automation platform that makes Selenium and Appium testing easy. You can test web, mobile, and even APIs using open source technology without all the usual headaches that come with it. TestProject is the top free tool according to Gartner with an average rating of 4.6/5 stars.
TestProject’s Key Benefits:
• Scriptless test recorder for non-technical users, with compatible export to Selenium and Appium
• Advanced scripting SDK (import existing Selenium and Appium tests)
• Cloud test storage and page object repository
• Beautiful executive analytics and dashboards
• 200+ community-powered addons
• Built-in integrations for Sauce Labs, BrowserStack, Jenkins, Slack, and more
Don’t bother with building and maintaining a bespoke Selenium test framework, when TestProject already helps you to:
• Create and execute tests on Windows, Linux, macOS, and even Docker
• Install and manage Selenium, Appium, and all required dependencies
• Distribute test execution locally and in the cloud
• Specify user and project permissions
Subject7 is a State-of-the-art cloud-based platform for end-to-end test automation which covers web, native mobile, desktop, database, web services (REST and SOAP), load testing, security testing, 508/accessibility testing, manual testing, and much more. The Subject7 platform provides end-to-end test automation capabilities through a series of commands. These commands are available via an easy-to-use web interface, hiding the complexities of industry-standard packages such as Selenium, Appium, SikuliX, JMeter, ZAP, and others.
Subject7 Player, which executes these automation commands, is available on users’ machines (for authoring and debugging), in the cloud for parallel execution, as a load-generating engine, and for active or passive security checks, all using the same commands making automation uniform across-the-board.
Extensive APIs allow for integration into JIRA, Jenkins, GitHub, or any DevOps platform for test automation in real-time. It is further available on public, protected, or private clouds (i.e. on-premise).
Pricing: Commercial SaaS
#4. Katalon Studio
Katalon Studio is a free automation test tool that provides a common environment to create and execute UI functional, API/Web services, and mobile testing. It is one of the best Selenium WebDriver alternatives.
The capability to combine UI and Business levels (API/Web services) for different environments (Windows, Mac OS, Linux) has been considered an advantage of Katalon Studio.
Katalon Studio supports SOAP and RESTful requests with various types of commands (GET, POST, PUT, DELETE) with parameterized capability.
It is one of the top alternatives to selenium
- Support combination test between UI and API verification.
- Support testing both SOAP and RESTful requests.
- Hundreds of built-in keywords for creating test cases.
- Support one of the most powerful assertion library, AssertJ to create fluent assertion with BDD style.
- Support the data-driven approach.
- Can be used for both automated and exploratory testing.
- Suitable for both pros and non-techies
#5. Ghost Inspector
Using Ghost Inspector you can build or record automated tests for your application right in your browser. It is used for website testing, browser testing, visual testing, UI testing, E2E testing. No coding is required to use Ghost Inspector. Ghost Inspector is a Selenium IDE alternative. It works through the Chrome plugin.
- Test Recorder & Codeless Editor
- Video & Screenshot Comparison
- Multiple Browsers & Screen Sizes
- API & Third Party Integrations with GitHub, CircleCi, Jenkins, Azure DevOps, TravisCI, TeamCity, Docker, etc.,
- Advanced Test Scheduling
- Parallel Testing by Default
Free Trial: 14 days
Pricing: Starts $89 per month
#6. Tricentis Tosca
Tricentis Tosca is a continuous testing platform for Agile and DevOps. Benefits of Tricentis Tosca include:
- Supports many arrays of protocols: HTTP(s) JMS, AMQP, Rabbit MQ, TIBCO EMS, SOAP, REST, IBM MQ, NET TCP
- Integrates into the Agile and DevOps Cycle
- Maximize reuse and maintainability with model-based test automation
- API tests can be used across mobile, cross-browser, packaged apps, etc…
- Achieve sustainable automation with new technology
- Reduce the time of regression testing
Pricing: Contact Sales
Watir stands for Web Application Testing In Ruby. It’s an open-source Ruby library for automating tests. Watir interacts with a browser the same way people do: clicking links, filling out forms, and validating text. It is a selenium alternative open-source regression testing tool. It can be used to automate regression testing suites.
- It’s a free Open Source tool.
- Light-weight and easy to use tool
- It supports multiple browsers on different platforms.
- Cross-platform OS support
- Technology independent
Pricing: Free (Open source)
#8. Sahi Pro
- Inbuilt Excel framework to let your business analysts and non-technical professionals contribute towards testing.
- Simple and powerful APIs
- Object spy and recorder
- Automatic logging and reporting
- Parallel and distributed playback
- Continuous integration
- Test any browser on any operating system
- Test any Windows desktop applications
- Test any iOS and Android, Native and Hybrid Applications
Free Trial: 30 days
Pricing: starts $695 per year
#9. Ranorex Studio
Ranorex enhances the quality and maximizes your resources for automated regression tests. Ranorex Studio is an all-in-one tool for test automation that allows us to perform end-to-end testing using real devices or emulators/simulators, and run tests across different platforms, devices, or technologies. It supports cross-browser testing for Chrome, Firefox, Safari, Microsoft Edge, and more
- Robust object identification. Instantly track and analyze UI elements of your desktop, web, or mobile application with Ranorex Spy – even dynamic ones.
- Effortlessly create test automation projects without coding.
- Create flexible test automation scripts using standard programming languages.
- Data-driven and keyword-driven testing.
- Integrates with tools like Jira, Jenkins, TestRail, Git, Travis CI, and more.
Free Trial: free 30-day trial
Pricing: $2990 (includes one year of maintenance and professional support)
#10. Froglogic Squish
Graphical user interface (GUI) testing is the process of testing an application’s visual elements. It is done to make sure all the visual features are behaving as expected. GUI Testing is mostly done by manual testers. Time consumption is very high due to manual testing. While conducting GUI Testing manually, we spend more time and money. To save a lot of time in the current Agile Days, we need to have an automation tool to test GUI. Froglogic Squish GUI Automation Tool is one of the best choices in terms of GUI Automation Tools.
- Supports Behavior Driven Development and Testing: Squish support BDD. It is 100% compatible with Gherkin language which is a standard BDD language.
- Powerful and intuitive Integrated Development Environment (IDE): Squish IDE, Eclipse-based IDE, make the GUI Testing process easier.
- Wide Integration Options: It can be incorporated with ALM, Continuous Integration, Build Integration, Test Management, and Software Project Management integrations. It can be integrated with HP Quality Center / HP ALM, Microsoft Visual Studio/TFS/MTM Integration, Rational Quality Manager, Seapine TCM Integration, Maven, Ant, TeamCity, Bamboo, Jenkins/Hudson.
- Data-Driven Testing: It allows Data-Driven Testing. Drive your scripts with data from a variety of data sources such as CSV, TXT, TSV, MS Excel, Databases.
- Distributed Batch Testing: It allows to execute sets of scripts or batches, and review the detailed logging and execution results
- Hybrid Application Testing: Seamlessly automate multi-technology applications or applications with more than one toolkit
- Visual Verification of Application components: Visual verifications are a hybrid form of property and screenshot verifications. It has advanced verification options of elements and group of controls.
Free Trial: free 30-day trial
Serenity BDD is an open-source library that helps you write higher quality automated regression and acceptance tests faster.
- Write tests that are more flexible and easier to maintain
- Produce illustrated, narrative reports about your tests
- Map your automated tests back to your requirements
- See how much of your application is actually being tested
- And keep tabs on project progress
Pricing: Open source
Unified Functional Testing (UFT) is a well-known commercial testing tool for functional testing. It provides a comprehensive feature set for API, web services, and GUI testing of desktop, web, and mobile applications across platforms. The tool has advanced image-based object recognition feature, reusable test components, and automated documentation.
UFT uses Visual Basic Scripting Edition to register testing processes and object control. UFT is integrated with Mercury Business Process Testing and Mercury Quality Center. The tool supports CI via integration with CI tools such as Jenkins.
Mabl is a next-generation automated script less cross-browser testing tool. It uses the power of machine learning and artificial intelligence to enable easy functional testing of applications. The only SaaS service with native support for Chrome, Firefox, IE, and Safari. All without leveraging any 3rd party test-cloud beyond mabl.
- Reuse tests across different browsers
- Run infinite tests in parallel
- Testing nodes are scaled up in the cloud as you need them, with real browser installations on virtual machines.
Free Trial: 14-day free trial
#14. Robot framework
Robot Framework is an open-source automation framework that implements the keyword-driven approach for acceptance testing and acceptance test-driven development (ATDD). Robot Framework provides frameworks for different test automation needs. But its test capability can be further extended by implementing additional test libraries using Python and Java. Selenium WebDriver is a popular external library used in the Robot Framework.
Test engineers can leverage Robot Framework as an automation framework for not only web testing but also for Android and iOS test automation. Robot Framework can be easy to learn from testers who are familiar with keyword-driven testing.
#15. Galen framework
Galen is a test framework originally introduced for testing the layout of web applications in a real browser but is also a great tool for functional testing. It can be integrated with Selenium for visual and layout testing of the web applications.
Galen Framework allows you to set up your tests to run in a cloud-like Sauce Labs, or BrowserStack or LambdaTest to test website responsiveness on different mobile devices.
- Supports different screen sizes or browsers
- Allows you to set up tests to run in a cloud-like Sauce Labs, or BrowserStack or LambdaTest
- Gives you the ability to perform visual check and shows you the mismatching area
- Automatically highlights the misaligned elements so that we can easily identify what goes wrong on the page
Cypress is a free and open-source test automation solution for web environments.
- It enables you to write types of tests such as End-to-end tests, Integration tests, Unit tests.
- Cypress can test anything that runs in a browser.
- It takes screenshots automatically on failure
- It captures videos of your entire test suite when run from the CLI (Command Line Input).
- No need to write wait commands. It automatically waits for commands and assertions before moving on.
- It supports cross-browser testing.
Screenster is an automation testing solution based on visual comparisons. It is a regression testing tool for websites and web applications, one of the alternatives to selenium. This UI testing automation cloud or self-hosted tool can be used without writing a single line of code. It helps non-technical users a lot in creating better tests.
It can be integrated with Jenkins, TravisCI, TeamCity, CircleCI, Bamboo, Jira.
Some other tools alternative to Selenium:
#20. TestCafe Studio
#24. Ranorex Webtestit
Selenium is one of the most popular and widely recognized automation testing tools out there that critically changed the automation testing history. However, it’s always nice to have some options available so that you can choose the tool that fits your team’s needs.
We don’t think you’d be disappointed with any of the above-mentioned tools similar to Selenium.
Did we miss out on any Selenium alternatives and competitors?
Which automation testing tools do you use for in your project? Share your thoughts in the comment section below!
- Selenium IDE Alternatives
- Protractor Tutorial
- Postman Tutorial
- API Testing Tutorial
- Katalon Studio Tutorial
- Selenium Tutorial