Selenium is one of the automation testing tools which is an open source tool. Selenium automates web application. Selenium is used for functional and regression testing of web applications. Selenium supports multiple programming and scripting languages like Java, Ruby, Perl, PHP and Python to code the logic behind the test scripts.
There are some challenges and limitation in Selenium
As we all know Selenium WebDriver is a tool which automates the browser to mimic real user actions on the web. Selenium is a free open source testing tool. Some of the challenges with Selenium WebDriver are as follows:
- 1. We cannot test windows application
- 2. We cannot test mobile apps
- 3. Limited reporting
- 4. Handling dynamic Elements
- 5. Handling page load
- 6. Handling pop up windows
- 7. Handling captcha
The Best Selenium Alternatives In 2020
Let’s see some of the alternatives to Selenium.
- Katalon Studio
- Tricentis Tosca
- Sahi Pro
- Ranorex Studio
- UFT (Unified Functional Test)
- Robot Framework
- TestCafe Studio
- Ranorex Webtestit
- Ghost Inspector
Subject7 is a State-of-the-art cloud-based platform for end-to-end test automation which covers web, native mobile, desktop, database, web services (REST and SOAP), load testing, security testing, 508/accessibility testing, manual testing, and much more. The Subject7 Platform provides end-to-end test automation capabilities through a series of commands. These commands are available via an easy-to-use web interface, hiding the complexities of industry-standard packages such as Selenium, Appium, SikuliX, JMeter, ZAP, and others.
Subject7 Player, which executes these automation commands, is available on users’ machines (for authoring and debugging), in the cloud for parallel execution, as a load-generating engine, and for active or passive security checks, all using the same commands making automation uniform across-the-board.
Extensive APIs allow for integration into JIRA, Jenkins, GitHub, or any DevOps platform for test automation in real time. It is further available on public, protected, or private clouds (i.e. on-premise).
Pricing: Commercial SaaS
Protractor is a Node.js program that supports test frameworks like Jasmine, Mocha, and Cucumber.
Katalon Studio is a free automation test tool provide a common environment to create and execute UI functional, API/Web services and mobile testing.
The capability to combine UI and Business levels (API/Web services) for different environments (Windows, Mac OS, Linux) has been considered an advantage of Katalon Studio.
Katalon Studio supports SOAP and RESTful request with various types of commands (GET, POST, PUT, DELETE) with parameterized capability.
- Support combination test between UI and API verification.
- Support testing both SOAP and RESTful requests.
- Hundreds of built-in keywords for creating test cases .
- Support one of the most powerful assertion library, AssertJ to create fluent assertion with BDD style.
- Support data-driven approach.
- Can be use for both automated and exploratory testing.
- Suitable for both pros and non-techies
Tricentis Tosca is a continuous testing platform for Agile and DevOps. Benefits of Tricentis Tosca include:
- Supports many array of protocols: HTTP(s) JMS, AMQP, Rabbit MQ, TIBCO EMS, SOAP, REST, IBM MQ,NET TCP
- Integrates into the Agile and DevOps Cycle
- Maximize reuse and maintainability with model-based test automation
- API tests can be used across mobile, cross-browser, packaged apps, etc…
- Achieve sustainable automation with new technology
- Reduce the time of regression testing
Pricing: Contact Sales
Watir stands for Web Application Testing In Ruby. Its an open source Ruby library for automating tests. Watir interacts with a browser the same way people do: clicking links, filling out forms and validating text. It is a open source regression testing tool. It can be used to automate regression testing suites.
- It’s a free Open Source tool.
- Light-weight and easy to use tool
- It supports multiple browsers on different platforms.
- Cross-platform OS support
- Technology independent
Pricing: Free (Open source)
Official website: Link
- Inbuilt Excel framework to let your business analysts and non-technical professionals contribute towards testing.
- Simple and powerful APIs
- Object spy and recorder
- Automatic logging and reporting
- Parallel and distributed playback
- Continuous integration
- Test any browser on any operating system
- Test any Windows desktop applications
- Test any iOS and Android, Native and Hybrid Applications
Free Trial: 30 days
Pricing: starts $695 per year
Official website: Link
Ranorex enhances the quality and maximizes your resources for automated regression tests. Ranorex Studio is an all-in-one tool for test automation allows to perform end-to-end testing using real devices or emulators/simulators, and run tests across different platforms, devices or technologies. It supports cross-browser testing for Chrome, Firefox, Safari, Microsoft Edge, and more
- Robust object identification. Instantly track and analyze UI elements of your desktop, web, or mobile application with Ranorex Spy – even dynamic ones.
- Effortlessly create test automation projects without coding.
- Create flexible test automation scripts using standard programming languages.
- Data-driven and keyword-driven testing.
- Integrates with tools like Jira, Jenkins, TestRail, Git, Travis CI, and more.
Free Trial: free 30-day trial
Pricing: $2990 (includes one year of maintenance and professional support)
Official Link: Link
Graphical user interface (GUI) testing is the process of testing an application’s visual elements. It is done to make sure all the visual features are behaving as expected. GUI Testing is mostly done by manual testers. Time consumption is very high due to manual testing. While conducting GUI Testing manually, we spend more time and money. To save a lot of time in the current Agile Days, we need to have an automation tool to test GUI. Froglogic Squish GUI Automation Tool is one of the best choices in terms of GUI Automation Tools.
- Supports Behavior Driven Development and Testing: Squish support BDD. It is 100% compatible with Gherkin language which is a standard BDD language.
- Powerful and intuitive Integrated Development Environment (IDE): Squish IDE, Eclipse-based IDE, make the GUI Testing process easier.
- Wide Integration Options: It can be incorporated with ALM, Continuous Integration, Build Integration, Test Management and Software Project Management integrations. It can be integrated with HP Quality Center / HP ALM, Microsoft Visual Studio/TFS/MTM Integration, Rational Quality Manager, Seapine TCM Integration, Maven, Ant, TeamCity, Bamboo, Jenkins/Hudson.
- Data Driven Testing: It allows Data Driven Testing. Drive your scripts with data from a variety of data sources such as CSV, TXT, TSV, MS Excel, Databases.
- Distributed Batch Testing: It allows to execute sets of scripts or batches, and review the detailed logging and execution results
- Hybrid Application Testing: Seamlessly automate multi-technology applications or applications with more than one toolkit
- Visual Verification of Application components: Visual verifications are a hybrid form of property and screenshot verifications. It has advanced verification options of elements and group of controls.
Free Trial: free 30-day trial
Official Link: Link
Serenity BDD is an open source library that helps you write higher quality automated regression and acceptance tests faster.
- Write tests that are more flexible and easier to maintain
- Produce illustrated, narrative reports about your tests
- Map your automated tests back to your requirements
- See how much of your application is actually being tested
- And keep tabs on project progress
Pricing: Open source
Official Website: Link
Unified Functional Testing (UFT) is a well-known commercial testing tool for functional testing. It provides a comprehensive feature set for API, web services, and GUI testing of desktop, web, and mobile applications across platforms. The tool has advanced image-based object recognition feature, reusable test components, and automated documentation.
UFT uses Visual Basic Scripting Edition to register testing processes and object control. UFT is integrated with Mercury Business Process Testing and Mercury Quality Center. The tool supports CI via integration with CI tools such as Jenkins.
Mabl is a next generation automated script less cross browser testing tool. It uses the power of machine learning and artificial intelligence to enable easy functional testing of applications. The only SaaS service with native support for Chrome, Firefox, IE, and Safari. All without leveraging any 3rd party test-cloud beyond mabl.
- Reuse tests across different browsers
- Run infinite tests in parallel
- Testing nodes are scaled up in the cloud as you need them, with real browser installations on virtual machines.
Free Trial: 14 day free trial
Official Link: Link
Robot Framework is an open-source automation framework that implements the keyword-driven approach for acceptance testing and acceptance test-driven development (ATDD). Robot Framework provides frameworks for different test automation needs. But its test capability can be further extended by implementing additional test libraries using Python and Java. Selenium WebDriver is a popular external library used in Robot Framework.
Test engineers can leverage Robot Framework as an automation framework for not only web testing but also for Android and iOS test automation. Robot Framework can be easy to learn from testers who are familiar with keyword-driven testing.
Selenium has been great pieces of technology that critically changed the automation testing history but the tools which we mentioned here are good to try.