If you are looking for the best alternatives to TestRail, then this is the article for you.
TestRail is one of the best test management tools in the market that enables testers to organize, prioritize, and manage their tests. However, since it’s not the only option on the market for test management tools.
In this post, we will explore a comprehensive list of TestRail alternatives with pricing, features, and comparison.
TestRail is a web-based test case management tool that helps testers, developers, and other stakeholders organize, track, and manage your entire testing process.
It can be integrated seamlessly with leading bug tracking tools and automation testing tools such as Jira, Ranorex Studio, Redmine, Bugzilla, Axosoft, GitHub, Azure DevOps (TFS), Trello, Pivotal Tracker, Rally, GitLab, Assembla, Asana, Mantis, Trac, Bitbucket, YouTrack, Visual Studio, Fogbugz, and many more
TestRail is used by thousands of teams around the world. Some of their customers include Adobe, Amazon, Apple, Autodesk, BestBuy, Cisco, FedEx, Fitbit, HP, Intel, Nasa, PayPal, Sony, and Salesforce.
- Test case documentation with test steps, screenshots, and expected results.
- Collaboration between teams can be done easily by allowing comments and attachments.
- Test case selection based on filters before starting a test run.
- Easily estimate effort and forecast test completion dates.
- Create reports on the traceability of your requirements, tests, and defects.
- Actionable, built-in, real-time reports and metrics.
- Integration with Jira and many other tools.
- Creating Jira bug reports is easy.
- Compatible with Selenium, and continuous integration (CI) tools like Jenkins.
Reasons behind migration from TestRail to other Test Case Management Tools?
Some reasons behind teams making a switch from TestRail to other Test Management solutions are as follows.
- TestRail Pricing: TestRail software has no free plan.
- Jiraent & Defect modules: Not available.
- Performance: Some teams have been experiencing performance issues, particularly with real-time updates during intensive testing periods which impacts the workflow.
- Mobile application: It does not offer a native mobile application.
- Reporting: Need improvement in reporting capabilities.
- Automation integration: Limited to API and CLI.
- Integration with other tools: Although TestRail integrates with many popular bug-tracking and development tools, there are some tools that it doesn’t natively support.
- Jira Integration: Less robust because you can’t view and manage issues in TestRail.
- Support: Lack of satisfactory customer support.
TestRail is a top-tier test management solution that offers robust features and functionalities that cater to the needs of software testers and developers, enabling them to streamline their testing processes and improve the quality of their software products.
However, we would like to recommend the following test management tools as a replacement to TestRail due to the above mentioned drawbacks of TestRail.
Don’t miss: How To Choose A Test Management Tools
Comparison TestRail Competitors
|Basic Plan Pricing
|$ 39 /per user /per month
|Free for up to 3 users
Above: $17/user per month
|$299/month for 25 users
|Klaros Test Management
|€30 /per user/month.
|Contact Qmetry sales
|$6 – $45 / user
|Contact Zephyr Sales
|Contact QAComplete Sales
|$999 each year per concurrent user
|Contact Xray Sales
List of Best TestRail Alternatives And Competitors
The main details of each software are listed below, but if you’re in a hurry, here’s a quick list of the best alternatives to the TestRail Test Management Tool.
If you’d like to see our in-depth analysis, keep reading.
Best for a wide range of testing techniques and ensures confident software delivery.
PractiTest is an end-to-end SaaS test management platform that centralizes all your QA work, processes, teams, and tools into one platform to bridge silos, unify communication, and enable one source of truth across your organization.
With PractiTest you can make informed data-driven decisions based on end-to-end visibility provided by customizable reports, real-time dashboards, and dynamic filter views.
Improve team productivity; reuse testing elements to eliminate repetitive tasks, plan your team’s work based on AI-generated insights and enable your team to focus on what matters.
PractiTest helps you align your testing operation with business goals, and deliver better products faster.
Don’t miss: Detailed review on PractiTest Test Management Tool
- End-to-end test management platform: Bring your entire QA operation into one shared space. Visualize your data to extract valuable actionable insights. Collaborate with all teams to reach business goals.
- Centralized QA hub: Connect teams, bridge silos, unify communication, and enable one source of truth across your organization. Boost your testing productivity, visibility, team collaboration, and business alignment.
- Full visibility: Get a high-level overview or drilled-down details of your QA process with PractiTest’s powerful reports, real-time customizable dashboards, and dynamic filter views. Use testing insights to predict potential problems, make data-driven decisions, and accelerate work.
- Improved productivity: Easily reuse testing elements and filter your data dynamically according to your needs.
- Eliminate repetitive work, enable your team to focus on what really matters, and improve productivity.
- Flexibility: PractiTest has everything you need to work your way: Customizable fields, dashboards, views, and integrations with any tool you already work with.
- Customize PraciTest to best suit your QA operation regardless of your testing methodology; Waterfall, Agile, or DevOps.
- Business alignment: Achieve full traceability of all testing assets back to user stories to align your testing operation with business goals. Better allocate testing resources for improved efficiency and faster product delivery.
- Professional: $ 39 /per user /per month
- Enterprise: $ 49 /per user /per month
- Unlimited: Contact Practitest
Free: 14-day trial
Is Practitest better than TestRail
The most prominent difference between TestRail and PractiTest is that the former does not have issue management nor requirement management modules – this means no clear traceability within the system. PractiTest is an ALM solution and includes all management modules for requirements, test creation, test cases, issues, and reporting.
- TestRail does not have parameterization capabilities, which are integrated deeply into Practitest test cases and runs. Parameterization in PractiTest means increased test reusability and a great saving on time and management.
- PractiTest supports external dashboards and gives access to non-testers to the relevant data, TestRail does not have these options.
- Support level is very poor and not what you’d expect from an enterprise (as described in this TestRail discussion string here)
Are you an existing TestRail customer who is planning a switch to PractiTest?
If you’re an existing TestRail customer looking to switch to PractiTest, you can use the PractiTest Migration Plan. With this plan, you can effortlessly migrate all your tests from TestRail to PractiTest in just a few seconds. Their special script ensures that you don’t lose any of your separated step data. Plus, their onboarding process and customer support are there for you every step of the way, making your migration to PractiTest easy and hassle-free.
Testpad is not your typical test management software. It’s more like a spreadsheet than a database of test cases, but unlike a spreadsheet, it offers consistent formatting, easy team collaboration, and excellent reports that make it clear how testing is progressing. The free-form nature of the test plans may be utilized in almost any style: from high-level guides for exploratory testing to fully scripted test case management
- Guest testers, invited by email, who don’t need a login
- Simple enough to use by non-testers; get everyone to help
- Drag’n’drop organization of test plans
- Add new tests during testing, as you think of new ideas
- Lightweight integration with issue trackers, including JIRA
Testpad is pitched at QA pros looking for a more productive approach to testing and at beginners looking for an upgrade to the annoying mess they’re in with spreadsheets.
- Essential: $49/mo when billed annually
- Team: $99/mo when billed annually
- Department: $249/mo when billed annually
- Custom: from $15/u/mo annual only, sold in units of 10 users/yr
Free Trial: 30days
Best for small to mid-sized QA teams looking for support of a wide range of testing methods and integrating test management seamlessly in their development process.
Testiny is a state-of-the-art test management tool with a wide range of features. It simplifies manual testing and fully integrates with any kind of test automation. Simply upload your automated test results to Testiny and have all quality-related data in one place.
Testiny helps to improve team productivity with its easy-to-use and fast user interface; no need to train the team – just use the tool; it’s so simple.
With Testiny you’ll be able to increase your development speed and product quality, as Testiny will show you exactly where problems occur; which tests fail, which are flaky, and much more. Moreover, it’s even free for small teams and open-source projects.
Organize and maintain a clear overview of your test runs with Testiny, a cutting-edge tool for efficient test run management. Collaborate seamlessly with your team in an agile manner, track changes, and securely archive results. Generate comprehensive reports, analyze data, export findings, and seamlessly integrate with other tools.
Testiny makes it easy to migrate from TestRail and other tools using their CLI tool or REST API. Whether you have manual or automated tests, you can effortlessly import existing tests or test results with Testiny’s importer CLI tool. For example, you can import tests from a spreadsheet when you’re ready to start using a more efficient test management tool, or import results from automated tests in a CI/CD pipeline.
- Test automation integration – upload any kind of result to Testiny
- Easy to use and blazing fast UI
- Custom fields- Testiny adapts to your process
- Integrations (Jira, etc.)
- Real-time data and reporting
- CLI tools and REST API for developers
- Completely free for open-source projects for small teams up to 3 users
- Pricing starts at $17/user per month
- Volume and yearly subscription discounts
Free: 14 days (can be extended; no credit card required)
Is Testiny better than TestRail
The main difference between Testiny and Testrail is the extremely intuitive user interface and the responsiveness of Testiny. It feels like working with a desktop application, although it’s running in a browser. It offers everything needed for test management or manual testing and moreover, an excellent integration for automated testing to report these results back to Testiny. All this comes at a very attractive and transparent pricing, starting at $17/user per month, whereby discounts automatically apply for a yearly subscription and when acquiring more user seats.
On top of that Testiny is even free for small teams and open-source projects – it’s definitely worth giving it a try.
- Testiny pricing is far more attractive than from Testrail
- Testiny offers much better customer support than Testrail; you get answers within hours, not weeks (if any) like with Testrail (as discussed in the Testrail forum)
- Testiny is extremely responsive and so easy to use – never saw this in any other test management tool
- Testiny has frequent releases, active development and new features every month
Best for modern teams looking for unified test management for manual, exploratory and automated tests in one platform.
Testmo is the #1 unified test management tool for modern teams. Manage all your manual test cases, exploratory tests and test automation in one powerful platform.
Designed for testing productivity, Testmo comes with a lightning-fast, scalable and modern interface so teams of all sizes can optimize and scale their testing activities.
Testmo also fully integrates with all the tools testing teams use for a complete testing workflow. It comes with best-in-class Jira, GitHub and GitLab integration plus many more integrations. Also directly submit test automation results from CI pipelines, build systems and dev environments. Any test automation tool and platform supported.
- Unified testing to track all your QA activities in one tool.
- Rich test case management, exploratory test sessions & test automation.
- Full issue integration with Jira, GitHub, GitLab and many more.
- Full integration with any test automation tool, CI pipeline & DevOps tools.
- Best-in-class reporting, metrics and real-time charts.
- Fully customizable with fields, workflows & test assignments.
- Built-in project management, milestones & versions.
- Fast, scalable & enterprise-ready for teams of all sizes.
- Team: $99/month for 10 users
- Business: $299/month for 25 users
- Enterprise: $499/month for 25 users
Free: 21-day trial
#5. Klaros Test Management
Klaros Test Management is a user-friendly web-based tool for professional test management. The easy-to-use user interface supports test managers and testers in planning, managing, executing and evaluating their test activities.
Iterative and agile methods such as Scrum or Kanban are supported as well as classical development processes such as Waterfall or V-Model.
Klaros Test Management features over 50 interfaces to issue trackers, test automation tools and continuous integration servers. This allows seamless integration into existing IT environments as well as simple and straightforward import and export of data with external tools.
Klaros Test Management provides a powerful and comprehensive reporting system. Many common reports are already predefined and integrated. Individual report requirements, such as custom content and graphical layout, can be implemented by the customer via a straightforward and powerful API.
Klaros Test Management is established in Germany and used worldwide by companies of all sizes and a wide range of industries. Customers appreciate the ease of use and the fast and competent support.
Test Case Management
- Central administration of all test cases
- Detailed change tracking for increased traceability
- Versioning of test requirements, test cases and test suites.
- Manual and automatically executed test cases
- Modularization and reuse of test steps for better maintenance
- Sharing of test cases across projects; changes are only necessary in a single location
Requirements Management: Requirements can either be created directly in the application or dynamically synchronized with external tools. This allows for accurate test coverage information at any time throughout the whole duration of the project.
Defect Management: During test execution, errors found can be passed directly from Klaros Test Management to a defect management system. Defects and test cases can be tracked and cross-referenced at any time in both systems.
Test Coordination / Test Governance: Test tasks can be conveniently created, assigned and tracked. Duration and results of executed tests are automatically logged. Graphical representations of the test progress and success rates are available at any time.
Test Documentation and Reporting: The configurable dashboard provides a quick overview of the most important reports and statistics. Numerous overview and detail reports are predefined and supplied for detailed analysis. Individual test reports can be implemented according to your own requirements.
LDAP, Active Directory and CAS: User authentication and password management is covered directly in the application or can be handled via an external LDAP, Active Directory, or CAS server.
Docker Integration: Klaros-Testmanagement can also be operated as a container within a docker-based environment.
Tool Integration: Over 50 interfaces with issue trackers (JIRA, GitHub, GitLab, Mantis, Redmine) test automation tools (JUnit, QF-Test, Selenium) and continuous integration servers (Jenkins, Hudson) allow seamless integration into existing development environments and simplify the import and export of data.
Klaros Test Management is available as a free Community Edition or the commercial Enterprise Edition, both as a server installation and as a cloud based solution. The server base price for 3 users starts at 1280,- €, adding 340,- € or less for additional users. Cloud based prices start at 30,- € per user/month.
Comprehensive support and software updates are included for free during the first year. Additional services such as customization and extensions, training, support with data migration, import and export as well as integration with additional tools are offered for completion.
Klaros Test Management is one of the best alternative to TestRail
- Supports test planning and governamce
- Supports requirements management and tracability
- Offers fully customizable reporting
- Continuous flow of new features, reliable and stable software updates
- Fast, responsive and competent support
Best for Accelerating Quality for Enterprises Intelligently.
QMetry Test Management is an AI-powered enterprise-grade test management solution that enables agile teams to manage their entire testing life cycle, from test case creation to execution and reporting.
It provides deep integration with popular requirement and defect trackers, numerous automation tools and frameworks, and leading CI/CD platforms to enable continuous testing.
It has powerful advanced reporting and analytics features that will allow teams to gain insights into their testing process.
It offers audit, compliance, and customization modules to enable enterprises to manage their testing processes in accordance with compliance regulations.
- Test Authoring, Test Planning & Test Execution
- Test Coverage and End to End Traceability
- Advanced Custom Reporting and Personalized Dashboards
- Test Case Reusability using Data Parameterization and Shared Test Cases
- Seamless Integration with Automation frameworks, CI/CD Platforms
- By-directional Integration with Jira & Azure DevOps for Requirement & Bug tracking
- esignature Workflow for Regulated Industries
- Exploratory Testing
- Detailed Audit Logs & Compliance
- BDD Support for Requirements and Test cases
- Inbuilt Requirements and Bug tracker
- Cross-project & Confluence Reporting
- API for Integration
- AI/ML Powered Features that enhances Reusability & Predictability
- Multiple Views for Test Executions
Pricing: Contact QMetry Sales
Free: 15-day trial
Best for IT teams looking for a cloud-based test case management tool and requirements management tool
ReQtest offers Requirements Management, Test Management, & Bug Tracking capabilities to manage the scope, quality, & progress of your IT projects.
ReQtest is recommended and trusted by industry leaders Teracom, Dustin, and Schneider. Scania, Coop, Bisnode, etc.,
- End-to-end requirements traceability
- To your bug reports, add voiceover graphics or videos.
- To highlight items in a sprint or iteration, use colored stickies.
- Find project bottlenecks quickly.
- Actionable insights with a focus on the test management process
- Professional: $6 – $45 / user
- Enterprise: Contact Reqtest
Free: 10-day trial
Best for individual, small team, or large team.
Zephyr is a test case management solution that allows you to create test cases, record and manage bugs, and communicate issues to teams. It enables the creation of customized dashboards, fine reports, and deep analytics data.
- It’s available on-premise or in the cloud.
- Create dashboards and generate reports and track quality metrics
- It connects with automation tools like Selenium.
- Zephyr was designed to let you test at scale while still adhering to the CI/CD procedure.
Pricing: Contact Zephyr Sales
Free: 30-day trial
Best for QA teams of all sizes
QAComplete is a test management tool that can help organizations manage their entire testing process more efficiently. It aids teams in producing high-quality software by streamlining testing, release, and requirement tracking across multiple projects.
- It allows you to re-purpose and reuse your testing assests across your testing cycles.
- You may adapt the tool to your development approach.
- Determine test coverage and verify that all requirements are covered by tests.
- Create clear traceability between requirements, test cases, and defects.
- Seamless integration with Bugzilla, Jira and other defect tracking tools.
- On-Premises: $999 each year per concurrent user
- SAAS $599 each year per concurrent user
Best for all agile teams.
Xray is a test management solution for Jira that helps you to manage, plan, and report your testing process with precision. It works well with Jira.
Xray enhances your agile boards with real-time monitoring of need status and test execution success. It also provides sophisticated reporting that may be exported to Docx, xlsx, or pdf using Xporter. It may be linked with your favorite Continuous Integration tools such as Jenkins and Cucumber.
- You may link your requirements to test cases with this tool.
- Provides thorough traceability reports.
- Integrates seamlessly with agile processes
- Supports your CI/CD pipeline.
- Supports leading test automation frameworks like Selenium, Cucumber, etc.,
Pricing: Contact Xray Sales
Free: 30-day trial
FAQ – Alternatives to TestRail
What is TestRail?
TestRail is a comprehensive test case management and orchestration software designed to streamline your software testing processes. Gain valuable visibility into QA and ensure the release of high-quality software. With the TestRail test management platform, effortlessly track, organize, and manage all your software testing efforts.
What are some alternatives to TestRail?
Some TestRail replacement tools are PractiTest, TestPad, Testiny, Testmo, Klaros Test Management, QMetry, ReQtest, Zephyr, QAComplete, and Xray.
Are there any free TestRail alternatives?
Some of the free TestRail Open Source alternatives are as follows.
– TestLink (Free, Open Source),
– Meeshkan (Free Personal),
– TestBench CS (Freemium),
– Qase(Freemium), and
– Kiwi TCMS (Freemium, Open Source).
Is TestRail same as Jira?
No, TestRail and Jira are not the same. Although both tools can be used for project management and issue tracking, they serve different purposes. TestRail is specifically designed for software testing, while Jira is a more general project management tool. However, some teams use both TestRail and Jira together to create a comprehensive solution for their software development process.
What is better than TestRail?
Some competitors to TestRail are PractiTest, TestPad, Testiny, Testmo, Klaros Test Management, QMetry, ReQtest, Zephyr, QAComplete, and Xray.
Is TestRail free?
TestRail is a freemium. It offers a 14-day free trial followed by a paid subscription or purchase for continued use.
We hope this list has helped you find the right TestRail alternatives and competitors for yourself!
What are your thoughts about our list? Any other suggestions that should be included in this post? Let us know in the comments!
- Best PractiTest Alternatives
- Best ReQtest Alternatives
- Best Zephyr Alternatives
- Best qTest Alternatives
- Best XRay Alternatives
- Best Test Management Tools for JIRA
DisclaimerAll information contained here is based on publicly available information and is deemed correct but not warranted. Any errors or omissions should be brought to our attention, and prospective customers are encourage to do independent research.