In this post, we will see the Best Unit Testing Tools for 2020.
This post summarizes the top unit testing tools that have the potential to help organizations to best position themselves to keep pace with the trends in software testing. The list includes both open-source and commercial unit testing tools.
What is Unit Testing?
Unit Testing is also called Module Testing or Component Testing. It is done to check whether the individual unit or module of the source code is working properly. It is done by the developers in the developer’s environment. Read more on Unit Testing here.
Popular Unit Testing Tools:
Unit Testing Tools help developers in improving the quality of their code, reduce their time in terms of testing their own code, and also decrease overall cost. So we need to be careful while choosing an unit testing tool. Let’s see some of the popular tools for the unit testing process.
Features of Unit Testing Tools:
Now in this section we will see the above tools in detail.
JUnit 5 is the next generation of JUnit. The goal is to create an up-to-date foundation for developer-side testing on the JVM. This includes focusing on Java 8 and above, as well as enabling many different styles of testing.
NUnit is a unit-testing framework for all .Net languages. Initially ported from JUnit, the current production release, version 3, has been completely rewritten with many new features and support for a wide range of .NET platforms.
TestNG is a testing framework inspired from JUnit and NUnit but introducing some new functionalities that make it more powerful and easier to use, such as:
- Run your tests in arbitrarily big thread pools with various policies available (all methods in their own thread, one thread per test class, etc…).
- Test that your code is multithread safe.
- Flexible test configuration.
- Support for data-driven testing (with @DataProvider).
- Support for parameters.
- Powerful execution model (no more TestSuite).
- Supported by a variety of tools and plug-ins (Eclipse, IDEA, Maven, etc…).
- Embeds BeanShell for further flexibility.
- Default JDK functions for runtime and logging (no dependencies).
- Dependent methods for application server testing.
JMockit is open source Unit testing tool. JMockit is a Java toolkit for developer testing, including mocking APIs and a code coverage tool.
- Out-of-container integration testing for Java EE and Spring-based apps
- Mocking API with recording & verification syntax
- Faking API for replacing implementations
- Code coverage tool
EMMA is an open-source toolkit for measuring and reporting Java code coverage. EMMA distinguishes itself from other tools by going after a unique feature combination: support for large-scale enterprise software development while keeping individual developer’s work fast and iterative. Every developer on your team can now get code coverage for free and they can get it fast!
- EMMA can instrument classes for coverage either offline (before they are loaded) or on the fly (using an instrumenting application classloader).
- Supported coverage types: class, method, line, basic block. EMMA can detect when a single source code line is covered only partially.
- Coverage stats are aggregated at method, class, package, and “all classes” levels.
- Output report types: plain text, HTML, XML. All report types support drill-down, to a user-controlled detail depth. The HTML report supports source code linking.
- Output reports can highlight items with coverage levels below user-provided thresholds.
- Coverage data obtained in different instrumentation or test runs can be merged together.
PHPUnit is a programmer-oriented testing framework for PHP. It is an instance of the xUnit architecture for unit testing frameworks.
xUnit.net is a free, open source, community-focused unit testing tool for the .NET Framework. Written by the original inventor of NUnit v2, xUnit.net is the latest technology for unit testing C#, F#, VB.NET and other .NET languages. xUnit.net works with ReSharper, CodeRush, TestDriven.NET and Xamarin. It is part of the .NET Foundation, and operates under their code of conduct. It is licensed under Apache 2 (an OSI approved license).
Cantata is a unit and integration testing tool, enabling developers to verify standard compliant or business critical code on host native and embedded target platforms.
Cantata helps accelerate compliance with the standard’s dynamic testing requirements by automating:
- Test framework generation
- Test case generation
- Test execution
- Results diagnostics and report generation
TestComplete is an automated testing environment for a wide range of application types and technologies, including (but not limited to) Windows, .NET, WPF, Visual C++, Visual Basic, Delphi, C++Builder, Java and Web applications and services.
We have included most of the tools we have come across. If we missed any tool, please share in the comments and we will include in our list of Unit Testing Tools. You may also want to check out our ultimate list of functional testing tools that contains Popular Functional Testing Tools.
If you are looking to dig into our latest posts then check out our homepage.
Like this post? Don’t forget to share it!
Disclaimer: The order of these test management tools doesn’t suggest any recommendations.
Here are a few hand-picked articles for you to read next:
- API Testing Tools
- Service Virtualization Tools
- Functional Testing Tools
- Web Application Testing Tools
- Test Management Tools
- Defect Tracking Tools
- Cross Browser Testing Tools
- Automation Testing Tools
- Performance Testing Tools
- Penetration Testing Tools
- Regression Testing Tools