Katalon Studio supports functional testing of web applications on Internet Explorer, Edge, Chrome, Firefox and Safari.
This tutorial explains how to setup a test project in Katalon Studio. We assume that you are familiar with general principles of automated testing and have minimal knowledge of the Katalon Studio IDE.
Internet Explorer Configurations
Skip this section if you do not wish to run your automated tests on Internet Expolorer. Otherwise, you need the following setup:
- For IE 7 to IE 11, set the Security level for all zones (Internet, Local Intranet, Trusted sites and Restricted sites) to the same value. To access this setting, choose Internet Options from Control Panel of Windows, then switch to the Security tab:
- For IE 10 or later, uncheck Enable Enhanced Protected Mode* in the Advanced tab.
- Set the Zoom level on IE to 100% so that native mouse events can be identified correctly.
- For IE 11, you need to set a registry entry on the target computer so that the Katalon driver can maintain a connection to the IE instances that it creates.
- Type ‘regedit‘ into Command Prompt to open Registry Editor
- Locate the FEATURE_BFCACHE subkey (create the FEATURE_BFCACHE subkey in case it is not there):
2.1 For 32-bit Windows, the key is at: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREMicrosoftInternet ExplorerMainFeatureControlFEATURE_BFCACHE.
2.2. For 64-bit Windows, the key is at: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREWow6432NodeMicrosoftInternet ExplorerMainFeatureControlFEATURE_BFCACHE.
3. Inside this subkey, create a value named iexplore.exe with the Type as REG_DWORD and the Data as 0.
Katalon Addon for Chrome
Katalon Utility, a Katalon addon for Chrome, is required if capturing objects on your active Chrome browsers. You can install this Katalon addon for Chrome from here. Refer to Web Object Spy and Record & Playback for more details.
This configuration allows you to decide which port to be used for sending data between Katalon Utility and Katalon Studio.
1. Once Katalon Utility is added to Chrome, right-click on its icon at the top right of your browser and open the Options setting to specify a preferred port to communicate with Katalon Studio (default value is 50000).
2. Open preferences for Katalon Utility in Katalon Studio by accessing Window > Preferences > Katalon > Utility Addon. Enter the same port number to be used for communicating with Katalon Utility.
There may be a situation when your machine is setup within a restricted network with a policy to only allow Internet connection through a proxy server. In such a case, proxy settings can be configured from Preferences > Proxy. The settings affect both WebUI and WebService test execution. (Contact your network administrator to have necessary information for these settings).
Users may find their computers operating in a network that requires some certification in order to access the Internet.
Katalon Studio supports the capability to bypass certificate validation so that users with restricted network policies can work with Katalon Studio as usual. This setting can be found from Project > Settings > Network. This setting affects both WebUI and WebService testing.
You can add and modify Desired Capabilities to set the properties of browsers for test execution.
To define Desired Capabilities for local execution using Chrome, Firefox, IE, Safari or Edge, please access Project > Settings > Execution > Default > WebUI > Chrome (or Firefox, IE, Safari, Edge)
The example below show a desired capabilities setting for the web browser to disable info bar.
Refer to https://github.com/SeleniumHQ/selenium/wiki/DesiredCapabilities to know which properties of each web browser are supported by Selenium.
Notes: in case you want to have more configuration about desired capabilities (e.g., setup desired capabilities for specific web execution on remote machines), please refer to Execution Settings for more details.
With this setting, you can add or remove your external libraries. Please access the setting from Project > Settings > External Libraries.
- Add: Click and browse your .jar file to add a library to your external libraries. The selected library will be copied to the Drivers folder in the Katalon project.
- Remove: Click to remove existing libraries. They will be removed from the Drivers folder for a Katalon project
The added libraries can be imported and utilized in the Script View of test cases:
These settings allow you to define the global database connection to be used in several features of Katalon Studio such as defining Test Data or Checkpoints. You can access these settings from Project > Settings > Database.
The dialog includes the following fields:
|Username||The username to authenticate with connected database server|
|Password||The password to authenticate with connected database server|
|Connection URL||The connection string of database server. Katalon Studio supports following databases:|
Katalon Studio supports Git integration to facilitate team collaboration. Refer to this guide on how to enable it.
Users can specify what to do next when a test execution finishes. The setting can be accessed from Windows > Katalon Studio Preferences > Katalon > Execution
The options include:
|Default execution||The default environment that Katalon Studio will use to execute automation test.|
|Default load timeout||The default timeout period (in seconds) that Katalon Studio will wait for the application under test to be loaded during the execution of tests.|
|Post-Execution Options||These options determine the actions that Katalon Studio will perform after executing tests.|
Notify me: Specify whether you want to send email notification.
Refer to Emails Settings on how to register the list of report recipients.
Refer to Test suite > Manage execution information on how to register a list of recipients who will be receiving the execution report of a specific test suite.
Open report: Specify whether the report generated is opened immediately.
Terminate drivers: Specify whether any driver remaining after execution will be terminated.