During a game testing interview, you should demonstrate your understanding of game psychology, in-depth knowledge of the game design, and your communication skills. You have to show them your determination and patience as they expect you to concentrate for long periods to work.
You have to show your employer that you are passionate about gaming, so you should be well aware of the gaming industry, its trends, history, consoles, etc. The interviewer is most likely to ask you three types of questions, basic background questions, testing-based questions, and gaming knowledge.
Don’t miss: Game Testing Detailed Guide & How To Become A Game Tester
Video Game Tester Interview Questions & Answers
Here are a few questions that would help you crack your game testing interview. There are few questions that you have to answer using your personal experience. There is a sample answer given for such scenarios.
1. How would you test a game?
Answer: I would test multiple scenarios, find glitches and bugs, report those issues to the developing team and retest those scenarios. It will be my responsibility to verify if the game’s design is as expected and validate the performance of the game
2. Do you think game testing is all about playing games all day?
Answer: Game testing is similar to testing any other software application. We test the application by performing user behavior. In this case, we play the game just like the user does to find bugs. It is highly repetitive, and we have to give attention even to the minute details.
3. What is the biggest myth about being a game tester?
Answer: Game testers have the same roles and responsibilities as QA testers. One of the biggest myths about game testers is that we get paid to play games. In reality, we write test cases, file bug reports, and communicate with different stakeholders, just as any QA.
4. Explain the process followed to test any game?
Answer: We have to start with understanding the game concept by looking at the storyboard, architecture, understanding the features of the game, characters, difficulty level, etc. Then we have to follow the below steps.
- Gather Requirements
- Create test strategy
- Prepare Test cases
- Review and Report
5. What are the types of testing techniques used in the gaming industry?
Answer: We can test a game with different types of testing. As per industry standards, we use Functionality testing, Combinatorial testing, Clean-room testing, tree testing, Playtesting, Compatibility testing, Performance testing, etc.
6. How will you ensure the game is error-free? What are the different strategies you would use?
Answer: To make sure that the gaming application is error-free, we can follow a few strategies that would help me uncover critical bugs.
- I would try to break the game by playing out several levels repeatedly in various conditions.
- I would test the game on different devices like consoles, computers, and mobile phones, based on its adaptability.
- I would try out different settings and alternatives within the game to see how it performs.
- I would analyze new versions of the game and retest existing bugs.
7. What are the challenges you have faced in your career as a game tester?
Here you can explain the issue faced in your previous workplace.
Sample Answer: Some of the common challenges I have faced are
- Lack of communication between different stakeholders
- It’s nearly impossible to verify every facility in the game.
- Every game application is unique, so there is no definitive guide that we can reference to test a game.
8. Why do you want to work in the video game industry?
Here you can share your personal experience with the interviewer.
Sample Answer: Games always fascinated me. I would play for endless hours. I even remember taking screenshots to report a bug while playing, even when I was young. I always wondered how they didn’t notice such a critical bug. After getting into college, I got into coding and was fascinated by the gaming industry. I would like to think that 10-year-old me would be proud of the career I have chosen.
9. What are your favorite video games?
The interviewer wants to know your passion for gaming, as the job requires you to play the game repeatedly. They need to know whether you enjoy the activity.
Sample Answer: Even though I spend hours playing online interactive games with my friends. My all-time favorite would be Mario, there is something about the music, color, or world-building that makes it fun, engaging, and addictive.
10. What are common things video game developers overlook?
Here you have to show your understanding of different aspects of the game.
From a developing perspective, I have seen several games with great storylines but characters losing their significance as the game moves to different levels or getting redudentent in their role.
From a testing perspective, I have encountered a lot of bugs. Characters glitching when they are near a wall or getting into a dead-end where there is no way to proceed further in the game, etc.
11. What would you do if users noticed a lot of bugs in a game you developed?
Here you have to show the interviewer your problem-solving skills.
Sample Answer: I would try to collect as much information about them as possible, like steps to reproduce the issue, the pre-conditions, screenshots, video logs etc. Create a clear bug report and assign it to the person who would fix it. Then communicate with different stakeholders about these issues.
12. Are there any ways you would improve the games you’re playing?
The interviewer might give you a game and make you play, then ask this question. Here you can reveal your expertise as a gamer, critical thinker or your knowledge in game psychology.
Sample Answer: I would try to improve the sound quality i.e, the music and the audio quality i.e, the voice chat. Place a zoom in and out camera angle for better clarity.
13. Why do you want to work here?
Here you have to show how your skills & passion can benefit the organization.
Sample Answer: I see this opportunity as a way to contribute to the game industry, and I feel I can do it with my years of experience as a user. I feel my skills are particularly well-suited to this position because it requires critical thinking, attention to detail, and a lot of patience.
14. What is the best way to assess a video game’s quality?
Answer: We can assess the quality of the game with few factors like
- Is it easy to register, download, and install a video game.
- How convenient, consistent, and flexible the user interface is. (Controls, Difficulty Level, etc.)
- Navigation should be self-explanatory – Menu items, Action Key configurations, Help, and other options.
- How good was the “story” of the game? (Presentation/Context)
- How much fun you had playing it (Visual presentation, animations, background objects, primary objects, frames.)
- Did they achieve what they wanted to do? (The interaction between characters and environment is designed)
- Overall replayability of the game
- Background Music (BGM) & Sound effects.
- Camera views, Zoom in, Zoom out functionality.
- Battery consumption
- Features like multiplayer feature, saving the levels/scores
- Security of the game – Are there any potential threats by intruders.
15. What are the skills required for successful video game testers?
Answer: To be a good video game tester, one should possess excellent problem-solving skills, good knowledge about the gaming industry, understand the quality assurance process, should be able to work with short deadlines, attention to detail and have patience for repetitive work.
16. When playing a game, what techniques would you use to find all the bugs and glitches?
Answer: There are different ways to find out bugs in the game. Some of them are
- Exploratory testing
- Not following the rules of the game
- Playing in the wrong order
- Trying different functionalities everywhere
- Different strategies like minimum/maximum input
17. What are your opinions of the most difficult aspects of testing video games?
Here you can explain the obstacles you faced while testing in our previous job.
Sample Answer: We have to consider a lot of things while testing game design, architecture, pacing, features, logic, gameplay, UX, balance, and more. Combined with short deadlines can make it a challenging process.
18. What recommendations do you have for games you’ve previously tested?
It shows what type of end-user experience you hope to provide in the game and your previous work experiences.
Sample Answer: I gave a few suggestions to improve the usability of the game. To enhance the colors for better visibility and other features that might frustrate the user while playing the game.
19. Have you found any glitches in the games you play? Name the platform and the part where it happens?
Here the interviewer wants to know your attention to detail and critical thinking skills. More specific the better.
Sample Answer: I have observed in a clash of clans when I try to donate troops to my friends I face network error, or they would not receive. I even tried to reproduce the issue with an iOS phone and laptop with WiFi and mobile network. It noted different results.
20. What is your favorite genre?
Here you can express your interest and let the interviewer know your passion for gaming.
Sample Answer: When I started gaming, I used to play a lot of shooter games, sports-based games nowadays, I see myself playing narrative fantasy types of games because of the extensive world-building and adventure plots.
- Complete Game Testing Guide
- How To Become a Game Tester
- How to Become a Software Tester
- Why did you choose Software Testing as a career?
- Career Shift From Manual To Automation Testing
- Crowdsourced Testing Guide for Companies & Testers
- 15+ Best Video Player For Windows 10 in 2023 | Media Players for Windows PC
- 10+ Best Video Player For Mac in 2023 | Media Players for Mac OS
- Best Android Emulators For Windows PC & Mac (Free and Paid) in 2023
- Git Tutorial for Beginners with Examples