Requirements Traceability Matrix (RTM) is used to trace the requirements to the tests that are needed to verify whether the requirements are fulfilled.
Requirement Traceability Matrix AKA Traceability Matrix or Cross Reference Matrix.
Like all other test artifacts, RTM too varies between organizations. Most of the organizations use just the Requirement Id’s and Test Case Id’s in the RTM. It is possible to make some other fields such as Requirement Description, Test Phase, Test case result, Document Owner etc., It is necessary to update the RTM whenever there is a change in requirement.
The following illustration gives you a basic idea about Requirement Traceability Matrix (RTM).
Assume we have 5 requirements
Adding a new test case id TID011 and mapping it to the requirement id BID005
Check below video to see “Requirements Traceability Matrix”
Please be patient. The video will load in some time.
Types of Requirements Traceability Matrix (RTM):
Let’s see different types of Traceability Matrix:
- Forward Traceability: Mapping requirements to test cases is called Forward Traceability Matrix. It is used to ensure whether the project progresses in the desired direction. It makes sure that each requirement is tested thoroughly.
- Backward or Reverse Traceability: Mapping test cases to requirements is called Backward Traceability Matrix. It is used to ensure whether the current product remains on the right track. It makes sure that we are not expanding the scope of the project by adding functionality that is not specified in the requirements.
- Bi-directional traceability (Forward + Backward): Mapping requirements to test cases (forward traceability) and test cases to requirements (backward traceability) is called Bi-directional Traceability Matrix. It is used to ensure that all the specified requirements have appropriate test cases and vice versa.
Advantage of Requirements Traceability Matrix (RTM):
- 100% test coverage
- It allows to identify the missing functionality easily
- It allows to identify the test cases which needs to be updated in case of change in requirement
- It is easy to track the overall test execution status
Download Sample Template: