In this post, we see the best Service Virtualization Tools. Some of the popular Service Virtualization Tools are as follows:
What is Service Virtualization?
Service Virtualization emulates the behaviors of components such as devices, APIs, networks, databases, etc., that are unavailable or difficult to access while testing and allows in-depth functional testing and performance testing in parallel.
Check our guide to learn more about Service Virtualization.
Why Service Virtualization Testing?
- It can be used by everyone who is involved in the application life cycle.
- It allows you to test earlier in the application development process by emulating the unavailable component dependencies. So you can achieve integration testing without any delay.
- It allows teams to work in parallel
- Reduces cost and saves a lot of time
- Easier to do a proof of concept (POC)
- Better test coverage
- It gives better test coverage
Popular Service Virtualization Software
Now in this section, we will see the above tools in detail.
1) Parasoft Virtualize
Parasoft Virtualize is a service virtualization software that can create, deploy, & manage virtual test environments anytime anywhere to help both development and QA teams. It allows the executing of complex test scenarios by capturing the required system behavior of dependent applications and virtual assets. It lets us create virtual assets that we can build and manipulate to behave just like the real ones.
- It comes with a powerful visual interface that allows you to manage and create virtual services
- Even non-technical team members can use it easily
- Integrates with third-party DevOps tools such as Jenkins, Bamboo, Jira, TeamCity, or Azure DevOps.
- It supports continuous testing through on-premise or in the cloud services such as Amazon EC2, Microsoft Azure.
Learn more on Parasoft Virtualize
2) IBM Rational Test Virtualization Server
IBM Rational Test Virtualization Server software enables early and more parallel, continuous testing of complex applications in the development lifecycle. It virtualizes part or all of an application or database that allows software testing teams to move forward without waiting for the availability of those resources to start testing.
- It enables you to update, reuse, and share virtualized services
- Supports a broad set of middleware and messaging technologies from Software AG, TIBCO, and other integration providers in healthcare, finance, and B2B.
- It supports integration with other tools like IBM Rational Quality Manager, Collaborative lifecycle management
- Flexible pricing and deployment
- It provides collaborative test execution and planning
Learn more on Rational Test Virtualization Server
3) Micro Focus Data Simulation Software
Micro Focus Service Virtualization (formerly HPE Service Virtualization) is simulation software to keep you on schedule and focused on service quality—not service constraints. It allows Dev’s and QA’s to virtualize the behavior of microservices.
It is a commercial tool.
- Easily create simulations of application behavior.
- Modify data, network, and performance models easily.
- It can be managed from anywhere with support for user roles, access control lists, and profiles.
- Easy to configure and use virtual services in day to day testing practices.
- It can be integrated with Performance Center, LoadRunner, ALM, and Unified functional testing.
- It allows you to execute tests earlier in the delivery cycle.
Learn more on Micro Focus Data Simulation Software
4) Broadcom Service Virtualization (formerly CA Service Virtualization)
- It enables parallel software development and testing that accelerates time to market.
- Test earlier in the software development life cycle where issues are less expensive and easier to fix.
- Reduce the costs of third-party services or pay per use services.
Learn more Broadcom Service Virtualization
5) Smartbear ServiceVPro
Smartbear ServiceVPro is a Service Virtualization and Service API Mocking tool. ServiceV Pro’s API virtualization helps us deliver APIs under budget, and on time. Virtualize REST & SOAP APIs, JDBC, TCP, and many more to accelerate the cycles of development and testing.
- It allows us to record and use an existing service or start from the beginning to generate a virtual service from an API definition.
- Allows you to create, configure, and deploy your mock on your local machines or deploy inside a private or public cloud to share.
- Provides web UI to analyze the performance and traffic of each virtual service.
- It instantly generates dynamic mock data
- It simulates Server-Side Behavior and Network Performance
- Real-time Service Recording & Switching
Learn more Smartbear ServiceVPro
6) Tricentis Tosca Orchestrated Service Virtualization
Tricentis Orchestrated Service Virtualization (OSV) allows you to execute tests completely, continuously, and reliably by stabilizing the access to dependent systems.
- It enables Continuous Integration and Continuous Testing
- Eliminates test data hassles and testing delays
- It supports shift-left testing
- Reduces testing costs
WireMock is a simulator tool for HTTP based APIs. It enables us to stay test even when an API we depend on does not exist or is not complete. It supports the validation of edge cases and failure modes that the real API won’t reliably produce. It acts fast and reduces the build time from hours to minutes.
- Its flexible deployment allows you to run WireMock from within our JUnit test, Java application, Servlet container, or as a standalone process.
- It supports XML and JSON
- Provides record and playback and allows us to run quickly by capturing traffic from and to an existing API.
Learn more WireMock
8) Traffic Parrot
Traffic Parrot is an API mocking and service virtualization tool. It simulates APIs and services by removing the hassle from creating test data or the environment and allows you to test microservice.
- Protocols supported are HTTP(S), JMS, IBM MQ, File transfers, and gRPC
- It accelerates delivery, improves quality, and reduces the time-to-market
- Supports both manual and automated testing.
Easier to develop and test your applications, microservices, and systems.
- Compatible with Docker, Kubernetes, OpenShift, Microsoft Azure, Amazon AWS, and Google Cloud.
- It supports Continuous Integration environments such as Jenkins Slaves, TeamCity Build Agents, Bamboo, or CircleCI.
- It supports Operating systems such as Windows, Linux, macOS, and other systems running Java 1.7 or later.
Learn more Traffic Parrot
Hoverfly by SpectoLabs is an open-source API simulation tool. It is a lightweight and easy to use tool that allows developers and testers to create realistic simulations of the APIs. It is written in a JVM language Go. It supports operating systems such as Windows, Linux, macOS, and native Java or Python language bindings.
Learn more about Hoverfly
Check out Hoverfly Cloud here which comes with 14 days free trial.
Mountebank is an open-source service virtualization tool. It facilitates cross-platform, multi-protocol test doubles over the wire. Developers/testers need to simply point their AUT to mountebank instead of real dependency and test similarly they would do with traditional stubs and mocks.
Learn more about Mountebank
We have included most of the tools we have come across. If we have missed any tool, please let us know in the comment section. We will try to include those in our list of Service Virtualization Tools (Best Open Source Microservices and Mocking Tools). You may also want to check out our ultimate list of API Testing Tools that contains Popular API Testing Tools.
If you are looking to go through our latest posts then check out our homepage.
Like this post? Don’t forget to share it!
Disclaimer: The order of these service virtualization tools doesn’t suggest any recommendations.
Here are a few hand-picked articles for you to read next: