Katalon recorder is a utility to capture all of user’s actions such as clicking and typing performed on the application under test and generate test cases automatically. This is a useful feature for quickly generating test cases, especially for users who are new to Katalon Studio.
If you are a beginner, the test cases generated by Katalon recorder can be used as a reference to understand how Katalon Studio works and what its test cases look like. If you are an experienced user, you can use this feature to quickly create test steps to verify whether they can execute correctly.
This tutorial walks you through the steps needed to use Katalon recorder. This guide assumes that you already create and configure a test project. If needed, refer to this tutorial for more details.
1. Click on the New Test Case button on the main toolbar. Provide a name for your test case and click OK. An empty test case will be created.
|Name||The name of the test case|
|Description||Your description for the test case|
|Tag||The tag you want to mark for the test case, which can be used for searching later.|
2. Click on Record Web from the main toolbar
3. The Record dialog is shown as below:
|Captured Objects||Display all captured objects during recording|
|Object Properties||Display the details of the selected object from the Captured Objects section above|
|Recorded Actions||Display all captured actions that users have conducted during recording|
4. Click on Record to start recording the test case in your desired browser.
|New Browsers||Launch a new browser and start recording actions from that browser.|
|Active Browsers||Focus on the current active Chrome browser and start recording actions from it. You will be asked for installation of Katalon Utility:
Refer to Katalon Addon for Chrome for more details.
5. Perform your test steps on the browser. All of your actions performed on the browser will be recorded by Katalon Studio. (Let’s record the test case on demoaut.katalon.com as an example. Click on the Make Appointment button, then click on the Login button.)
6. You can Stop or Pause recording if needed. When you are done with recording, click OK to save recorded actions into Katalon Studio. You can edit or delete the recorded actions here if needed.
7. You will be prompted to save captured objects into Katalon Studio’s Object Repository . Click OK to continue.
8. Captured objects will be saved into Object Repository and captured actions will be saved into the test case as shown below.
9. Click on Run on the main Toolbar to execute the test case’s script. You can specify the target browser to run by selecting it from the drop-down list.
Congratulations! You have automated your first test case using the recording feature of Katalon Studio. For advanced features such as branching, looping or validation, you can refer to following articles: